Lenovo ThinkSystem SR550 2U Rackmount Server
The ThinkSystem SR550 features a balance of performance, capacity, and value in a 2U form factor. Essential performance components are delivered in a combination that is designed to elevate the cost efficiency of the system, allowing the SR550 to meet both the workload needs and the budgetary needs of the enterprise.
Workload optimized support
New second-generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable family CPUs offer increased performance of 36% over the previous generation*, support for faster 2933MHz TruDDR4 memory, and Intel's Vector Neural Network Instruction (VNNI) which accelerates processor performance on Deep Learning and AI workloads. Up to 6% increases in per-core performance and hardware security mitigations round out the enhanced capabilities featured in this next-generation processor technology from Intel
Empowering IT management
Lenovo XClarity Controller is the embedded management engine in all ThinkSystem servers that is designed to standardize, simplify, and automate foundation server management tasks. Lenovo XClarity Administrator is a virtualized application that centrally manages ThinkSystem servers, storage, and networking, which can reduce provisioning time up to 95% versus manual operation. Running XClarity Integrator helps you streamline IT management, speed provisioning, and contain costs by seamlessly integrating XClarity into an existing IT environment.
The SR550 server offers a balance of processing power, storage capacity, and cost for small and medium businesses up to the large enterprise. Ease of use and comprehensive systems management tools help make deployment easier and efficient design improves your business environment and helps save operational costs.
Scalability and performance
The SR550 server offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with the second generation of the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family with up to 22-core processors, up to 30.25 MB of last level cache (LLC), up to 2933 MHz memory speeds, and up to 10.4 GT/s Ultra Path Interconnect (UPI) links.
*Support for up to two processors, 44 cores, and 88 threads allows to maximize the concurrent execution of multithreaded applications.
*Intelligent and adaptive system performance with energy efficient *Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology allows CPU cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor thermal design power (TDP).
*Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
*Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better utilize the hardware for virtualization workloads.
*Intel Speed Select Technology provides improvements in server utilization and guaranteed per-core performance service levels with more granular control over processor performance.
*Intel Deep Learning Boost (Vector Neural Network Instruction set [VNNI]) is designed to deliver significant, more efficient Deep Learning (Inference) acceleration for high-performance Artificial Intelligence (AI) workloads.
*Intel Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (AVX-512) enable acceleration of enterprise-class and high performance computing (HPC) workloads.
- Helps maximize system performance for data intensive applications with up to 2933 MHz memory speeds and up to 768 GB of memory capacity.
- Offers flexible and scalable internal storage in a 2U rack form factor with up to 16x 2.5-inch drives for performance-optimized configurations or up to 12x 3.5-inch drives for capacity-optimized configurations, providing a wide selection of SAS/SATA HDDs/SSDs.
- Provides I/O scalability with a LOM slot and up to six PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 I/O expansion slots in a 2U rack form factor.
- Reduces I/O latency and increases overall system performance with Intel Integrated I/O Technology that embeds the PCI Express 3.0 controller into the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family.
Availability and serviceability
The SR550 server provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- Offers protection in the event of a non-correctable memory failure with Single Device Data Correction (SDDC, also known as Chipkill, requires x4-based DIMMs), Adaptive Double Device Data Correction (ADDDC, also known as Redundant Bit Steering [RBS], requires x4-based DIMMs and Intel Xeon Gold or Platinum processors), memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing.
- Provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts (such as processors, memory DIMMs, and adapter cards) with tool-less cover removal.
- Offers affordable data protection with software RAID and Simple Swap drives and advanced hardware RAID data redundancy with hot-swap drives.
- Provides availability for applications with redundant hot-swap power supplies and redundant non-hot-swap fans.
- Allows preventive actions in advance of possible failure, thereby increasing server uptime and application availability with Proactive Platform Alerts (including PFA and SMART alerts) for processors, voltage regulators, memory, internal storage (SAS/SATA HDDs and SSDs, M.2 storage), fans, power supplies, RAID controllers, and server ambient and sub-component temperatures.
- Continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovery actions in case of failure to minimize downtime with Built-in XClarity Controller (XCC).
- Provides quick access to system status, firmware, network, health, and alerts information via Virtual Operator Panel from the XClarity Mobile App running on the Android or iOS mobile device that is connected to the front USB port with XClarity Controller access.
- Speeds up troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time with diagnostics built into the XClarity Provisioning Manager.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the SR550 server and deliver enterprise-class data protection:
- Provides advanced service processor control, monitoring, and alerting functions with XClarity Controller, a next generation service processor.
- Improves Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) system setup, configuration, updates, simplified error handling, and operating system deployment with the embedded XClarity Provisioning Manager.
- Offers XClarity Essentials software tools that can help you set up, use, and maintain the server.
- Increases uptime, reduces costs, and improves productivity through advanced server management capabilities with Lenovo XClarity Administrator that provides comprehensive hardware management.
Provides on-the-go monitoring and management of devices in XClarity Administrator from anywhere with the Lenovo XClarity mobile app, which can help improve efficiency and reduce downtime risks.
- Centralizes infrastructure resource management with Lenovo XClarity Integrators for VMware vCenter and Microsoft System Center, extending XClarity Administrator features to virtualization management software tools and enabling users to deploy and manage infrastructure end-to-end.
- Offers advanced cryptographic functionality (such as digital signatures and remote attestation) with an integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) or optional Trusted Cryptographic Module (TCM) or Nationz TPM (available only in PRC).
- Keeps user data safe with Lenovo Business Vantage, a security software tool suite designed to work with the Trusted Cryptographic Module (available only in PRC).
- Offers enterprise-class data protection with advanced RAID and optional self-encrypting drives.
- Provides faster, stronger encryption with industry-standard AES NI support.
- Helps prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks with Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality, when combined with a supporting operating system.
- Enhances security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks with Intel Trusted Execution Technology, allowing an application to run in its own isolated space, protected from all other software running on a system.
The SR550 server offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to the green environment:
- Delivers impressive compute power per watt, featuring 80 PLUS Titanium and Platinum redundant power supplies.
- Enables customers to lower energy costs with design to meet ASHRAE A4 standards in select configurations.
- Reduces power drawn with Intel Intelligent Power Capability that powers individual processor elements on and off as needed.
- Helps reduce power consumption with variable speed fans.
- Helps achieve lower heat output and reduced cooling needs with Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager that provides advanced data center power notification, analysis, and policy-based management.
Components and connectors
The following figure shows the front of the SR550 server with 8x 3.5-inch drive bays.
Figure 2. Front view of the SR550: 8x 3.5-inch drive bays
The following figure shows the front of the SR550 server with 12x 3.5-inch drive bays.
Figure 3. Front view of the SR550: 12x 3.5-inch drive bays
The following figure shows the front of the SR550 server with up to 16x 2.5-inch drive bays.
Figure 4. Front view of the SR550: Up to 16x 2.5-inch drive bays
The front of the SR550 server includes the following components:
- Up to 16x 2.5-inch or 12x 3.5-inch hot-swap, or 8x 3.5-inch hot-swap or Simple Swap drive bays.
- One VGA port (optional).
- One USB 3.0 port.
- One USB 2.0 port with XClarity Controller access.
- Power button.
The following figure shows the rear of the SR550 server.
Figure 5. Rear view of the SR550
The rear of the SR550 server includes the following components:
- Up to six PCIe expansion slots (depending on the riser cards selected).
- One LOM card slot.
- One 1 GbE port for XClarity Controller.
- One VGA port.
- Two USB 3.0 ports.
- Up to two hot-swap power supplies.
The following figure shows the locations of key components inside the SR550 server.
Figure 6. Internal view of the SR550
The following key components are located inside the SR550 server:
- Up to two processors.
- 12 DIMM slots (6 DIMM slots per processor).
- Drive backplanes.
- One M.2 module connector.
- One LOM card connector.
- One onboard PCIe slot 4.
- Two slots for PCIe riser cards.
- One TCM connector.
- Three (one processor) or four (two processors) non-hot-swap system fans.
Xeon Silver 4208 8C/16T 2.1Ghz
Up to 12 DIMM sockets (6 DIMMs per processor; six memory channels per processor with one DIMM per channel) with support for the following TruDDR4 RDIMM types and capacities:
8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB 2933 MHz.
16 GB and 32 GB 2666 MHz.
Error correction code (ECC), SDDC (for x4-based memory DIMMs), ADDDC (for x4-based memory DIMMs, requires Intel Xeon Gold or Platinum processors), memory mirroring, memory rank sparing, patrol scrubbing, and demand scrubbing.
Up to 768 GB with 12x 64 GB RDIMMs (Up to 384 GB per processor).
8 LFF SATA Simple Swap drive bays
8 LFF SAS/SATA hot-swap drive bays
12 LFF SAS/SATA hot-swap drive bays
Up to 16 SFF hot-swap drive bays: 8x 2.5" SAS/SATA + 8x 2.5" SAS/SATA
2.5-inch hot-swap drives:
12 Gbps SAS HDDs up to 2.4 TB
12 Gbps Nearline (NL) SAS HDDs up to 2 TB
12 Gbps SAS HDD SEDs up to 600 GB
12 Gbps SAS SSDs up to 15.36 TB
6 Gbps NL SATA HDDs up to 2 TB
6 Gbps SATA SSDs up to 7.68 TB
Internal M.2 SSDs:
6 Gbps SATA up to 480 GB
Intermix of SAS/SATA HDDs/SSDs is supported within a system, but not within a RAID array.
Internal storage capacity
3.5-inch models: Up to 192 TB with 12x 16 TB 3.5" HDDs
2.5-inch models: Up to 245.7 TB with 16x 15.36 TB 2.5" SSDs
12 Gbps SAS/6 Gbps SATA RAID
RAID 730-8i 1GB Cache
RAID 730-8i 2GB Flash
RAID 930-8i 2GB Flash
RAID 930-16i 4GB or 8GB Flash
Optical drive bays
2x Integrated 1 GbE RJ-45 ports (no 10/100 Mb support)
Onboard LOM slot for two additional 1/10 Gb Ethernet ports:
2x 1 GbE RJ-45 ports (no 10/100 Mb support)
2x 10 GbE RJ-45 ports (no 10/100 Mb support)
2x 10 GbE SFP+ ports (no 10/100 Mb support)
1x RJ-45 10/100/1000 Mb Ethernet systems management port.
I/O expansion slots
Up to six slots. Slot 4 is the fixed slots on the system planar, and the remaining slots depend on the riser cards installed. The slots are as follows:
Slot 1: PCIe 3.0 x16 or PCIe 3.0 x8; full-height, half-length (PCIe x16 slot is double-wide)
Slot 2: PCIe 3.0 x8; full-height, half-length (not present if the slot 1 is PCIe x16)
Slot 3: PCIe 3.0 x8 or ML2 x8; full-height, half-length
Slot 4: PCIe 3.0 x8; low profile (vertical slot on system planar)
Slot 5: PCIe 3.0 x16; full-height, half-length
Slot 6: PCIe 3.0 x8; full-height, half-length
Slot 5 requires the second processor to be installed.
1x USB 2.0 port with XClarity Controller access and 1x USB 3.0 port
2x USB 3.0 ports and 1x VGA port; optional 1x DB-9 serial port.
Three (one processor) or four (two processors) non-hot-swap system fans with N+1 redundancy.
Up to two redundant hot-swap 550 W or 750 W (100 - 240 V) High Efficiency Platinum or 750 W (200 - 240 V) High Efficiency Titanium AC power supplies. HVDC support (PRC only).
Matrox G200 with 16 MB memory integrated into the XClarity Controller. Maximum resolution is 1920x1200 at 60 Hz with 32 bits per pixel.
8x Hotswap SFF Bay
XClarity Controller (XCC) Standard, Advanced, or Enterprise (Pilot 4 chip), proactive platform alerts, XClarity Provisioning Manager, XClarity Essentials, XClarity Administrator, XClarity Integrators for VMware vCenter and Microsoft System Center, XClarity Energy Manager, Capacity Planner.
Power-on password, administrator's password, secure firmware updates, Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 or 2.0 (configurable UEFI setting). Optional lockable front bezel. Optional Trusted Cryptographic Module (TCM) or Nationz TPM (available only in PRC). Optional Lenovo Business Vantage security software (available only in PRC).
Microsoft Windows Server 2016 and 2019; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and 8; SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 and 15; VMware vSphere (ESXi) 6.5 and 6.7.
Three-year (7X04) customer-replaceable unit (CRU) and onsite limited warranty with 9x5 Next Business Day Parts Delivered.
Service and support
Optional service upgrades are available through Lenovo Services: 2-hour or 4-hour response time, 6-hour or 24-hour committed service repair (select areas), warranty extension up to 5 years, 1-year or 2-year post-warranty extensions, YourDrive Your Data, Enterprise Software Support, and Basic Hardware Installation Services.
87 mm (3.4 in)
445 mm (17.5 in)
720 mm (28.3 in)
19 kg (41.9 lb)
26 kg (57.3 lb)
|Manufacturer Part No:||7X04A07LAU||Brand:||Lenovo||Product Type:||2U Rackmount Server|
|UPC||-||Product Family:||ThinkSystem||Shipping Weight:||26 kg|
|PB Part No:||SVRLEN72112||Product Model:||SR550|